Last week, I opened up about my struggle with anxiety. It was quite a shock to see just how many of you could relate and connect to what I was saying. I am truly so grateful for your messages during the week. We are all in this together. Let’s remember that life is full of really good times and really challenging times. Truthfully, we need both to live our best life. Don’t you agree?
So, I thought I would share some of the things I’ve been doing lately to relieve my anxiety. These are simple lifestyle tools. Remember that everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. Also, never be afraid to seek help. I am currently in therapy for support. There is no need to feel any shame with this. It’s a journey, baby steps seem to make it much more manageable. Every day, I’m feeling better and better.
Here are some of the things I’ve been doing.
- Less time on social media: I have been dedicated to less time on social media. I am following the JS principles of a very strict boundary of no social media, phone or emails first thing in the morning and I switch it all off by 8pm. Strictly. This is life changing.
- Supplement: I am taking lots of supportive supplements for the nervous system such as fish oil, magnesium, B6, zinc, St John’s wart and adrenal herbs. You should always be guided by a health practitioner.
- Do yoga: I practise three times a week.
- Practise gratitude: I am waking up to a gratitude practice every morning for five minutes. I simply focus my attention on all the good things in my life. It’s amazing.
- Get creative: I’m ensuring I dedicate some time every week to write and be creative. This brings me so much joy that I have forgotten about.
- Avoiding alcohol: I’m avoiding alcohol for now, until my anxiety alleviates a bit.
- JSHealth meals: I am focussing on getting in enough good fats and grounding foods such as soups, curries, stir-fries and slow cooked meats.
- Eating complex carbs: I’m trying to ensure I add more healthy carbs to my diet such as sweet potato, brown rice and oats.
- Deep belly breathing: I do this twice a day. I breathe in for four breaths, hold for four counts and breathe out for four counts. I do this for one to two minutes.
- Saying no: I am saying no to social arrangements whenever I need to. No guilt.
- HIIT exercise: I am doing 20 minutes of HIIT exercise once or twice a week. I find it is amazing for my mental health.
- Professional help: I am seeing a psychotherapist once or twice a week to understand the anxiety and pain of grieving the loss of my bestie, Carli.
- Early nights: I’m getting into bed by 9.30pm every night where possible.
- Family: Spending as much time as possible with loved ones and family
Love Jess xx
You can find plenty more informative articles, body love support, nutrition guides and also get access to a nutritionist in your pocket with the JSHealth App. You can download the app on iTunes.
The post My Anxiety Toolbox appeared first on JSHealth.